Most projects on this blog are my own ideas. You may use them for personal and non-commercial use only; however, you cannot publish, use them for submissions to contests, or make a profit off my work. If projects are not based on my original idea, I will try my best to direct you to the creator or where the idea originated from. Thanks so much for your cooperation and I hope that you find lots of inspiration here.
Sunday, November 28, 2010
Lately, I have been loving all of the projects I have seen around the web with book pages and sheet music. I have seen these candles on quite a few websites that are similar to the Pottery Barn candles with sheet music on them and I really wanted to make some of my own. I saw a tutorial on how to make them here: http://thriftydecorating-nikkiw.blogspot.com/2010/11/pottery-barn-knock-off-candles.html and she also has a link where you can print out sheet music if you don't have any. I did mine a little bit differently, but this is where this idea originated from.
These were pretty inexpensive to make and I love how they turned out, so here is how you can make your own. First, I found these flameless candles at the Dollar Tree. They take 3AAA batteries each, so you can also pick those up at the Dollar Tree if you don't have any on hand. You will also need some Mod Podge, a brush to apply it with and your pages to put on the candles. I used pages from an Old Hymnal. I have a few of these that are just really worn, so I thought it wouldn't hurt to take out a few pages.
Next, I pulled out two pages per candle, for a total of 6 pages and trimed the edges of them to make it straight. I pulled out songs that I liked, so the words on the candle would be some of my favorites.
Now, I took the mod podge and added a layer onto the candle and then pressed the page onto it. Make sure your words are facing the right direction before you adhere them. Also, this takes two pages to cover the candle, so I only put mod podge on half of the candle at a time.
After the candle was covered, I gave it a few minutes to dry and then cut off the excess part of the pages at the top and bottom. Then, I gave the outside a cover of mod podge to seal it and give it a nice sheen. (I always have problems with mod podge wrinkling if the paper is thin, so you can see this in the picture, but after it dried, most of them came out and I thought the few that were left gave it a sort of vintage/rustic look.)
Now, to finish them off, I added a strip of ribbon around the center. I used my tape runner to adhere the ribbon.