Sunday, January 9, 2011

Crackled/Distressed Frame

I wanted to try out this antique cracking stuff that I got out of the paint section at Hobby Lobby, so I decided to use it to redo an old picture frame I had.  I used the colors for this week's Off the Wall Craftiness Challenge on the frame.  You can find the blog here: http://offthewallcraftiness.blogspot.com/  Here are the colors and inspiration photo for this week.

Here is my finished frame.  The picture in it is of me and George right after we got engaged.  I printed it out in black and white to go with the distressing theme.


I started out with an old 5x7 frame and removed the glass to get it ready to be painted.
Next, I painted the base coat with FolkArt Metallic Gunmetal colored paint.  I set this to the side and let it dry.

Next, I added a layer of antique crackle medium by FolkArt and set it to the side to dry.  Make sure you apply a liberal coat of this, because if you don't get enough on their, it won't crack. 
Finally, I added a top coat of white acrylic paint.  It will fully crackle as it dries, but you can see here that it was already started to crack as I began to apply the paint. It will continue to crack and show through your base color of paint as it dries.
I set the frame aside to dry and once it was fully dry, I used hot glue to attach my bow.


I am also linking this up here:

mmm button

9 comments:

Rhonda Emery said...

I love this look. I love any thing that looks old a weathered.

Audrey Frelx said...

I love the crackle mediums!!! I love the look!!! I've tried it on several projects.

Your frame came out great!!! I love it!

abusybee - DoubleClick Connections said...

This turned out great!

Saundra said...

Your frame is gorgeous, Jean! Love it!

Nicole said...

I need to try this! great job

Jaclyn Miller said...

Really neat idea and it turned out beautifully. Glad you chose this week's colors from OTWC to try it out. Thanks for joining us.

~Tammy~ said...

Jean this is great! What a fun project and it turned out just wonderful! Thanks for joining us this week at OTWC and Good Luck! :-)

Unknown said...

LOVE THE CRACKLE WORN LOOK. SO CUTE! jen

Hope said...

I love this!! Thanks so much for the instructions!! :)