Monday, August 29, 2011

Captain America Zipper Pouch (Sewing Tutorial)

I found the coolest fabric at Joann's with Captain America Comic Book Panels on it.  I had been wanting to try my hand at sewing zippers, so I decided to use this fabric to make a zipper pouch and I love how it turned out. 


To make this, I started out by cutting two 8x6 pieces of Captain America fabric for the outside, blue fabric for the lining and a stiff interfacing for stability.

Now, I laid the fabric down outside up, then interfacing, then lining down and made a top stitch across the top so it would be easy to sew the zipper on.  (This stitch will show slightly on your bag, so make sure you use a coordinating thread color.)
Now, I laid these on top of my zipper and used the zipper foot on my machine to sew this in place. 

Next, you just need to fold the fabric over to make a pouch with the material right sides facing and then sew around the outside edges.  I moved my zipper pull to the center while doing this.

Now, simply turn your pouch inside out through the zipper pull and your pouch is ready to go. 

I liked the pouch so much, I decided to also make a holder for my Sony Ereader, but I just used velcro to close it instead of a zipper.  Here is a picture of both of the finished pouches.

5 comments:

Audrey Frelx said...

THAT pouch is terrific!!! Love that material, and you did a great sewing job with the zippers!

bonkdawn said...

Those are awesome! I am so jealous ... I am not very good at sewing!

Angi Barrs said...

Fabulous idea. I have some comic book fans in my family that would love this. :) :)

Valerie said...

Cute zipper pouch!! Great idea for a little gift for someone.

Unknown said...

Oh how fun! I just love this idea. Thanks for sharing :)

Jani
Paper Compulsions