Saturday, December 3, 2011

Candy Cane Advent Calendar

I try to make Kaylee a new countdown or advent calendar every year.  I came up with this idea a while ago, but just finished it, because I had the hardest time finding the tiny clothespins.  Everywhere I went they had a space for them but were sold out.  I finally was able to get some at JoAnn's right after they got some in and was able to get the calendar finished.  Here is how it turned out.
I started out with a frame that I purchased from a thrift store for $2 and a red piece of poster board to put inside the glass for the backing.

Next, I hot glued 24 mini clothespins to the frame.  I laid out the candy canes first to make sure they were spaced correctly.

Now, I attached the candy canes and needed to make the countdown numbers.  I used the George and Basic Shapes cartridge to cut circles that were .33inches out of white vinyl.  I used a sharpie to add the numbers to the circles adn then placed them above each clothespin counting down the days.

Then, I cut my label and hot glued it to the top of the frame.  I used the Storybook Cartridge and the same red posterboard to cut the marquee shape and then I used the Batman Cartridge font and white vinyl to cut: "A Candy Cane A Day Means Santa Is On His Way".
I am entering this into the following challenge:
She's A Sassy Lady: Anything Christmas/Must have Red or White: http://shesasassylady.blogspot.com/
I am also linking this up at:
Making Monday Marvelous Linky Party

4 comments:

Norma said...

Love this idea and what little one wouldn't love to remove a candy cane every day:) TFS
Hugs,
Norma

Rhonda Emery said...

way too cute such a great idea

Besthobbyeva said...

Such an adorable idea, I love it!!

Laurie

abusybee - DoubleClick Connections said...

Super fun and yummy!
Carri~abusybee
www.doubleclickconnections.blogspot.com