Friday, April 8, 2011

Twinkie Chicks

I don't know why I thought of this craft, because we do not eat Twinkies at my house ever.  But, while I was in the grocery store, I saw the box of Twinkies and thought I could make those Easter Chicks.  Now, the whole time I was shopping I was coming up with my plan in my head, lol.  I had to stop and get some feathers in the craft department and I came home and put these together.  I love how they turned out. :)
I started out with a box of 10 Twinkies.  (I only have 9 chicks, because me and my hubby split one of them, lol)
Next, I used the Create a Critter Cartridge to cut the chicken and eggs.  For the chicken, he was cut with the Gypsy at a size of 2.98W x 3.59H and then I cut his head off of the body.  For the Egg Bottom, I hid the top layer in the Gypsy and cut only the bottom at a size of 3.71W x 3.59H.  (You will need two egg halves for each, so you can put on on the front and one on the back.)  I then cut only the beak layer to fit on the chicken's face.

Next, I added google eyes to the chickens face and then hot glued the face and egg to the Twinkies package.  Then, I hot glued feathers to the side of them for the arms.  I glued all of the arms on a little differently, some are facing up, some forward, etc.
Now, my little chicks needed a box to set in.  I wanted it to look like a makeshift child's box.  I took the Twinkie box and trimmed it down and removed the lid.  Then, it was painted with a primer and then painted it brown. 
Once it was drie, I hot glued the lid to the back slanted.  Then, my husband painted the words on the top for me.  We spelled chicks wrong on purpose so it would look like a child's box.
I am entering this into the following challenges:
Getting Cricky Simply Sunday: For the Birds: http://www.gettingcricky.com/
Sugar Sweet Paper Treats: Easter: http://sugarsweetpapertreats.blogspot.com/
Tuesday Throwdown: Spring: http://tuesdaythrowdown.blogspot.com/
Cricut Cardz Challenge: Easter: http://cricutcardzchallenge.blogspot.com/
Paper Cutz: Cricut cut of Chick: http://papercutzchallenge.blogspot.com/

I am linking this up here:
craft



11 comments:

ShersL84bed said...

cute

Aim said...

I'll take a chickie!! :) Where do I send my 5 cents? These are too cute... Thanks for sharing!! :)

Amy :) at www.lovetocrop.com

Jeri said...

Too dang cute. Great design idea. Thanks for sharing it with us at Cricut Cardz.

Anonymous said...

Like how your mind works :0)
Very cute and creative.
PJ(Jessie Adams)

Rhonda Emery said...

you are too funny these are so cute great take on the twinkies

Running Turtle said...

CUTE! CUTE!! CUTE!!! How dang cute are those CHICKS?
TinaB

abusybee - DoubleClick Connections said...

This is so adorable!! What a super fun idea!

Besthobbyeva said...

Too cute!!

Melissa said...

lol...so stinkin' cute! Love this!

Melissa
www.disneydreamerdesigns.blogspot.com

Erin said...

These are so cute. My kids would love these!!!

Jamiecrafts said...

Jean this is a super cute idea, you rock!